– Five educational facilities offering child care to families in Bradford, Sullivan and Susquehanna counties will benefit from state grants offered by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, Rep. Tina Pickett (R-Bradford/Sullivan/Susquehanna) said today.
The department’s Office of Child Development and Early Learning have selected recipients for the 2018-19 Pre-K Counts and Head Start Supplemental Assistance Program.
Specifically, the grants have been awarded to:
- Wyalusing Valley Children’s Center Inc., Bradford County.
- Discover the World Children’s Center Inc., Bradford County.
- Towanda Area School District, Bradford County.
- Mountain View School District, Susquehanna County.
- Forest City Regional School District, Susquehanna County.
“Studies show that children with access to early childhood education opportunities are better prepared for their school years and have greater chance to succeed, not just in education but in life,” said Pickett. “These grants will help open up slots so that more families can take advantage of these worthwhile opportunities.”
Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts provides high-quality pre-kindergarten services to at-risk 3- and 4-year-olds at no cost to families. Children living in families earning up to 300 percent of poverty, or a family of four earning $75,300 annually, are eligible to apply. Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts is offered in school districts, Keystone STARS 3 and 4 child care programs, Head Start programs and licensed nursery schools.
The grant amounts are based on qualifications and the number of families applying.
“Finding affordable child care is a struggle for families, and that’s why these programs are so valuable, especially in rural areas like ours,” Pickett added.
Families may contact the programs directly to apply. Contact information for Pennsylvania Pre-K Counts, Head Start and other early learning programs can be found by visiting the COMPASS website at findchildcare.pa.gov
and clicking on “Early Learning and Development Programs,” “Find a Provider,” “Preschool,” and “PA Pre-K Counts” or “Head Start.”
Representative Tina Pickett
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Jennifer Keaton