Contact My Office 


Capitol Office:
315A Main Capitol Building
House Box 202110
Harrisburg, PA  17120-2110
Phone: (717) 783-8238 
Fax: (717) 260-6536 

District Offices:
321 Main Street
Towanda, PA  18848
P: (570) 265-3124 
F: (570) 265-9453

106 West Packer Avenue
Sayre, PA  18840
P: (570) 888-9011 
F: (570) 888-9036

Satellite Offices
Susquehanna County
P: (570) 934-2557

Sullivan County
P: (570) 946-7673 
1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month
1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Commissioner's office in Laporte

Pickett Proposes Formal Documentation for Canceled, Terminated Gas Leases
HARRISBURG – A consumer-friendly proposal that will help landowners with oil and natural gas leases in Pennsylvania has been introduced in the state House, said Rep. Tina Pickett (R-Bradford/Sullivan/Susquehanna).

“Currently, there is no formal method for a landowner to obtain a written record when a lease is terminated, canceled or expired,” Pickett said. “As a result, many landowners are facing unnecessary delays in signing with a new oil or gas development company, because those entities require documentation that a previous lease has been canceled or terminated. This is posing a significant barrier to landowners who are simply wishing to continue to try and develop the natural resources under their property.”

Under the proposal, House Bill 402, the documentation would describe a lease and its contents, and have it delivered no less than 30 days prior to the termination or cancellation of the lease. It would also establish a process to record the release document, and a process to address instances when a release is not given to a landowner.

The legislation would pertain to any oil and gas lease, regardless of whether it involves shallow or deep drilling.

Similar legislation exists in New York, Kansas, Oklahoma and Louisiana.

The proposal is currently with the House Environmental Resources and Energy Committee for consideration.

Representative Tina Pickett
110th District
Pennsylvania House of Representatives
Media Contact: Jennifer Keaton
(717) 705-2094 /
Share |